Friday, May 2, 2008

And the verdict is...

Cooper does not have Wisckott-Aldrich Syndrome.

I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but since Cooper was getting the rash, we took him off of the antibiotics after the dr. appt on Monday. I talked with the dr. on Wednesday. That is when he said that he had talked to his collegue and they did not think that Cooper had the syndrome. Since the rash got MUCH better having stopped the antibiotics, the thought is that the antibiotics is what was causing the rash.

SO, a few options. We can see Cooper next week and see if the ear has gotten worse or miraculously healed itself without finishing the antibiotics. Remember, on Monday, his right ear still looked a little infected...which was why it was really bad that we had to stop the antibiotics...So, the next option is to but him on a different antibiotic. This antibiotic is actually dispersed through the Center for Disease Control and it is prescribed for very resistent bacteria. I would call this very resistent since the child has had ear infections since he was 5 months old and now he is 15 months old...has been on every antibiotic in the book, had his adenoids out and tubes in..etc. The next option is to try to finish out the antibiotics that we stopped on Monday. We would need to give Cooper Benadryl an hour before the medicine and then give him the medicine and see how he reacted. There is still a chance that the rash was from the ear drops and not the oral antibiotic.

So, we gave the Benadryl, and then an hour later the antibiotic on Wednesday night....and checked him about 10:00pm...and no rash. We checked him when he got up the next morning, Thursday, and still okay. So, then gave him the same treatment on Thursday night...and so far so good. So, we are hoping that finishing the antiobiotics, even with a two day break, will get rid of the ear infection. We will go back in next week to see how the ear looks!

Man, this is tough. This month, we will also be going to the ENT for the second follow up after his tubes/adenoids surgery in Jan. At the end of the month, we will go for a follow up with the Allergist.

I LOVE COOPER :)

2 comments:

TG said...

I am keeping this in my prayers and am very sorry to hear that you are still without answers. I KNOW how hard that is. I heard that sometimes food allergies (not necessarily gluten) could cause some of these symptoms, but you did mention the allergist, so I hope they are considering all possibilities. Let us know if we can help in ANY way.

Bugs Mama said...

don't know if you're interested but chiropractic adjustments help with ear drainage. I like http://www.massieclinic.com/
Regardless, hope you find answers soon...Coop's in our prayers.